Meeting with a lawyer for the first time can be an intimidating experience. you might not be aware of what to expect from them or whether or not you will receive the right answers to your questions. If you have been involved in a truck accident case or your loved one has been injured in an accident due to no fault of his own, the first thing that comes to your mind is to hire an attorney who will walk you through the complex process of filing a personal injury claim.
You have to bear in mind that your personal injury attorney will work on your behalf. Both of you will walk as a team in most situations but ultimately it is your case and you will have the decision-making power. So, before you move on to appoint a truck accident lawyer for your case, here are a few important questions that you should never forget to ask.
Questions to ask a truck accident lawyer
One of the biggest concerns is the cost of hiring a lawyer. people usually assume that lawyers are expensive and they might not be able to afford the cost of a professional. But, it is also true that in most cases a lawyer can be hired without any upfront expenses or fees. The agreement on which they are hired is called a ‘contingency fee agreement’. This means that the lawyer will charge a percentage of the settlement amount only if he is able to win the case.
Don’t forget to ask your truck accident lawyer about the fee structure and how he works with his clients. Some other questions that you need to ask him to include:
- What sort of involvement will I have regarding the basic decisions of my case?
- Who am I going to work with most often?
- How soon can you get back to me if I have any doubts or questions regarding the case?
Responsiveness is certainly one of the most important qualities to look for in a lawyer before appointing him.
Other questions to ask about the lawyer’s experience or knowledge
Truck accidents usually involve unique, and specific laws as compared to an average car accident. This is why you should ask the following questions about the lawyer’s knowledge or experience regarding handling truck accident cases.
- How many truck accident cases did you handle?
- Were you involved with trials regarding truck accident cases?
- Did you generally have a good success record with truck accident cases?
- Do you have the resources required to review the current trucking laws?
- Did you have a truck accident case that involves the particular defendant in my case?
- Do you find any trucking law violations in my situation?
- Are you aware of the prevalent laws that govern the truck accident industry?
An experienced truck accident attorney will be able to examine all facts of your case and detect any violations of law that could lead to an unexpected denial of your case.